We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The question of demand for a lawn mower arises in the summer from summer residents and owners of private yards with a large adjacent territory. Now it is not difficult to buy a tool for cutting green vegetation. But craftsmen always try to get out of the situation themselves. In a short time, a do-it-yourself lawn mower can be assembled from an old electric motor and other improvised means.
The device of homemade lawn mowers
To mow your small yard, you shouldn't buy expensive equipment. Two solutions can be found here:
- purchase a mechanical type lawn mower;
- make your own electric or gasoline unit.
The first option is simpler, but requires a lot of effort. After all, a mechanical mower must constantly be pushed by hand.
Important! The mechanical lawn mower is designed to service a plot of 100 - 500 m2.
A self-made unit with an electric or gasoline engine also needs to be pushed by hand, but the process of mowing grass is easier and faster. However, here you also need to find the optimal solution for yourself. The electric motor is easier to find. It can be removed from old household appliances: vacuum cleaner, washing machine, fan. However, the mower with an electric motor is constantly tied to the outlet and the cable will be dragged behind it all the time.
The petrol engine can be removed from the chainsaw. Such a mower will turn out to be mobile and powerful. The disadvantage is the constant preparation of the fuel mixture for the two-stroke engine, loud noise and exhaust gases.
The basis of a homemade lawn mower is a steel sheet with a minimum thickness of 3 mm, welded to a frame made of metal corners. A motor is attached to this platform from above, and a knife is installed from below. A U-shaped handle is welded to the mower frame. Four wheels are attached under the platform.
If the choice for homemade products fell on an electric motor, then you need to know the design feature of this equipment. Electric motors are available with flange mountings and feet. The first option is the most successful for a lawn mower. The flange is located at the end of the engine. That is, it is placed vertically on the bed. The working shaft protrudes perpendicular to the ground. All that remains is to simply put on a knife.
When using a foot-mounted electric motor, it will have to be mounted horizontally. Then, to transfer torque to the knife, you will have to design a pulley system. You can install such a motor vertically. In this case, two posts must be welded to the steel platform of the mower and the engine feet must be bolted to them.
Mechanical lawn mowers
A mechanical lawn mower has the simplest device. The core of technology is the body. A system of knives is installed inside. Two wheels and a working handle are fixed to the body. There is no motor in a mechanical mower. The movement takes place due to the pushing forces of the operator. During the movement of the mower, the knives begin to rotate, which cut the grass.
Now let's take a closer look at all the components of a mechanical mower:
- The mower blades are assembled in a block. It consists of one fixed and a set of movable elements. The stationary blade must be close to the lawn, so it is attached to the bottom of the case. The movable blades are wound in a spiral and fixed on the drum. This whole mechanism rotates on an axis. Mechanical mowers are often called spindle or cylindrical mowers. There is not much difference here. It's just that the name came from the drum. The fixed blade is made of harder steel than the moving parts. During rotation, the knives come into contact and they sharpen themselves. However, this option is only suitable for the contact type lawnmower unit. On a mower with a contactless unit, the gap between the fixed and movable knives is about 0.05 mm. The blades themselves are not sharpened, but the mechanism runs more easily on the grass and makes less noise.
- Wheel diameters are calculated by the manufacturer based on the size of the power lawnmower. The width is taken into account here, as well as the tread pattern that prevents slipping on the grass. The rotation speed of the knife block depends on the wheels.
- The handle is usually foldable to make the mower easier to transport.
- The body of the mechanical mower covers the blades. It can be made of plastic or steel.
The tool works very simply. The man pushes the mower in front of him with the handle. The rotation of the wheels drives the knife block. Here is another important detail worth noting. The knives rotate several times faster than the wheels. This is due to the step-up gear. Its gears transmit the torque from the wheels to the drum.
The rotating blades grab the green vegetation, press it against the stationary element, resulting in a cut.
All power lawn mowers are set up in almost the same way. Depending on the model, the cutting width can be in the range of 30–40 cm. The cutting height varies from 12 to 55 mm. Adjustment occurs smoothly or in steps, which usually range from 3 to 7 pieces. 4 or 5 movable blades are installed on the drum. The mass of the tool is in the range of 6-10 kg.
Self-assembly of a mower from an old washing machine
When making a do-it-yourself lawn mower from a washing machine, it is assumed that only an electric motor is used together with a starting relay and a capacitor. It is desirable that the motor power is at least 180 W.
Advice! An engine from a Soviet washing machine is great for a lawn mower. Its impressive weight will give stability to the homemade product, as it will press it harder with the wheels to the ground.
The mower wheels fit from a trolley or stroller. In extreme cases, you can cut them yourself out of a thick PCB, and cut a seat for the bearings in the center. The diameter of the wheels is selected so that the height of the knife from the ground is about 5 cm. Although, this distance can be maintained by fixing the chassis to the racks. It is desirable to supply 4 wheels. You can get by with three, but it will be more difficult to control such a mower. A maneuverable lawn mower will turn out to be on two wheels, but you will need to get used to such a unit.
For a platform, the best option is a steel sheet with dimensions of 30x50 cm. Sometimes craftsmen, for lack of this material, assemble a wooden board from boards.
For the manufacture of a knife, select hard, but not brittle steel. If the farm has a used saw for wood, then it will make a good cutting element.
Now let's look at how to make a do-it-yourself lawn mower from selected materials:
- We start making a lawn mower with a frame. It is welded from a corner with a section of 40x40 mm. The axles for the wheels are fixed from below. A ready-made chassis from a stroller or trolley will greatly simplify the task. It can be used as a frame for attaching a sheet steel platform.
- The handle is bent with the letter "P" from a steel round pipe with a diameter of 15–20 mm. For hand comfort, you can pull a rubber hose on top of the tube. The handle is welded to the frame. So that it does not break off, the joints are reinforced with kerchiefs made of pieces of steel sheet.
- A hole is drilled in the center of the platform from steel sheet. Its diameter is arbitrarily made several millimeters larger than the thickness of the electric motor shaft.
- From the bottom of the platform, a protective grill is bolted. It is needed for safety in case the knife spontaneously flies off the shaft. The gap between the grate and the cutting element is maintained at about 1 cm.A minimum gap of 2 cm must be maintained to the ground.
- The electric motor is placed vertically on the platform, driving the shaft into the prepared hole. The motor is bolted. A sharpened knife is put on the shaft and firmly clamped with a nut. A long electrical cable is connected to the motor. To wind it on the frame, you will have to weld a pair of pins. Alternatively, the wire from the motor can be taken out short with a plug, and the connection to the mains can be made through a long carrier.
The knife of a homemade lawn mower must first be turned by hand. If it does not cling to anywhere, you can try to plug it in and start mowing the grass.